Countdown to Departure Day

Monday 4 April 2011

How the funds were raised - part 5!

With only a week to go before Departure Day, Tour Captain Chris Brownlow had a last shot at raising some funds for the Tour Fund with a sponsored "clubtocounty" bike ride from Horwich RMICC to Old Trafford and back to Bolton - a trip of 36 miles. The event raised £334 pounds to push the Tour Fund over the £12,500 mark. Chris reflects on the trip below and there's a few photos of the action.

This wasn't quite as tough as I'd expected given that I hadn't had time to do as much training on my bike as I wanted during the winter. The pace was steady on the way to Old Trafford and we made good time. It was nice of Shaun to hang on to greet us after his nets session with the U12s had finished. The journey back was more of a challenge as there were more climbs and the A6 out of Salford was really hard work, especially as it started to rain! We had good support from my Mum and sister, who drove the route and carried drinks and biscuits to keep us going! Getting home felt good and I was pleased with the amount of money we raised. My legs are a bit sore today but I'll be fine by the time we fly out to Barbados - really looking forward to the Tour now! - Chris


Shaun Anders greets Chris Brownlow at Old Trafford
 
36 miles to go - the start at Horwich RMICC
Rev Axon Smith takes a nap at Irlam O'th Heights - on the way there, not back!
Back home - 3 hours and 36 miles later!
Rev Axon Smith, Chris and Barbados Dad.

Thanks to all who sponsored us!

No comments:

Post a Comment